Welcome to

Walking Football.com

Take a moment to register on the site so

that you keep up to date with the latest

news in Walking Football

REGISTER HERE

It's Completely FREE to Register So What Are You Waiting For?

referee referee

Alan Richards

New F.A. 'Strategy'

A couple of points might be worth putting forward.

1 Are the WFA going to advertise the forthcoming FA forums? If as stated they hold the popular mandate for Walking Football they would be doing their affiliates a disservice by failing to publicise the forums.

2 Having been involved with a County FA for 20 years I can say for fact that the County Football Associations are associated to the national FA. The national FA funds the County FA's and sets where development should be focused.

3 Having experienced the workings of the National FA I can only hope the time taken to implement changes or new policies has quickened. I had input to drive through or rather crawl through the Roll On Roll Off subs and playing 11 side sanctioned games through the closed season in June. We set off on these journeys in about 2003, the changes were brought in about 10 years later.

3 County FA's now have some excellent Development Officers who seem to be able to drive through changes, hopefully this will show in the agreed actions and outcomes of these meetings.

4 The logical way forward is surely for the WFA & The FA to work together, the WFA have communications with a number of clubs and the FA also communicate with a number of clubs. If all parties seriously have the best interests of Walking Football they need to work together.

• Thanks 2

Big Mac - Some good points but I am afraid I cannot agree with the last one. In theory it should be good for the game but given the organization of the WFA and previous communications, I cannot see that it would be,

Kevin1862 – you are obviously proud of your involvement with the WFA and I wish you well in your role. That said were you not originally Fast Kev, if so then I think you should revisit some of your earlier post and the responses to them. If not then do take on board GY’s response.

Gone2pot-  The burning question not answered is how many clubs have affiliated to the WFA, GY guesses at 10 and I guess even less.

It was never said that the WFA have no support but what was said is that they do not at this time have the backing of the majority. Sport England will want this information in order to be recognized as the NGB for WF, it will not be a question of them needing to disprove it, you will have to prove it and the only way you can do this is by showing affiliation numbers and growth figures. 
    The FA do not have to do this as they are already accepted if not officially recognized as the NGB for all forms of football. If they were asked I am sure they would give affiliation figures but there is related information on this that is already accessible. 
    In 2017, the Peoples cup involved some  200 entrants
    In 2017, the FLT competition involved some 80 entrants
    In 2017, there are 12 FA affiliated leagues, involving some 120 teams
    In 2017, the WFA had around 100 teams entered across the 50’s and 60’s tournaments combined
    I think this speaks for itself.

• Thanks 1

Just to add,  that to participate in any of our local  County FA run tournaments (which have been friendly with no results collected, so far) they insisted on affiliation/insurance.  There were 12 teams at the last tournament, just from our county. This was free - deposit paid and returned on attendance. 

We've entered the WFU national tournament on the understanding we're not insured to take part through bluefin. This year was the first time we've had to pay to enter. 

I've received good support from the County Development Officer, but also from Steve Rich prior to, and since the FA catching up.  

We took part in the first people's cup, suffice to say we did not enter a team the year after. 

I have no axe to grind with either the WFU or the county FA. Steve Rich was the first person I knew to set up a structure and set of rules, plus the national competition. He has attended the regionals and each time the standard of refereeing has improved. I can't criticise his energy and enthusiasm.    I hadn't even heard of the WFA  until stumbling across this website. County FA referees are also gaining experience and are improving. 

The FA  are late to the party, but as an FA licensed coach I know they have the structure via the county FA to support all local teams, referees and coaches /organisers, with courses such as safeguarding and emergency aid. 

All I'm interested in, is having one simple set of laws,  with good referees and insurance cover for my players wherever they play. 

• Thanks 1

Left foot, i was not a member of this website until last week and only joined to partake in the WFA Tournament Rules quiz, my comments on this topic are my own and what i believe in.

What i will say is, Steve Rich is a man who wants to take walking football forwards, i don't think the FA know what they are doing, which is why i said they are jumping on the bandwagon, before they start interfering in 'oldies' football, they should sort out the rest of football.

Some really pertinent points guys in these recent mails GY, Big Mac, Left Foot & Seasider. Have found very similar with our own County guys and their support for our efforts. Personally think that there must be something simple the FA could put into place be it an affiliation/accreditation for WF Groups/Clubs that includes some of the basics like Public Liability Insurance and to also add something to their referee courses. It would then give us all a firm base from which to start taking WF forward.

There is so much talk around rules and competitions - want to also bang the drum for Recreational WF -  please don't forget that significant numbers of people enjoy their local sessions and don't get involved in any sort of competitive WF ........... it's their game too.

• Like 1

All I can say is "hands off our weekly sessions!" to any organisation coming late to the party. We've developed these over 4 1/2 years and have our own set of enhanced rules, codes of conduct and ethos, to ensure participation and enjoyment for all ages (we're open age in recognition that some under 50s are unable to play normal 5 aside: as long as they play walking football  in the right spirit they are welcome). Our sessions constantly evolve to meet the needs of participants and with safeguarding in mind - for example we keep the ball below cross bar height when the age profile is older /there are people wearing glasses. We have introduced referees to control running and contact. We have "etiquette" on how to include players of different abilities. 

Obviously when we send teams to compete in competitions, we recognise a lot of this goes out the window, but not everyone wants to take part in competitive tournaments. 

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

All I can say is "hands off our weekly sessions!" to any organisation coming late to the party. We've developed these over 4 1/2 years and have our own set of enhanced rules, codes of conduct and ethos, to ensure participation and enjoyment for all ages (we're open age in recognition that some under 50s are unable to play normal 5 aside: as long as they play walking football  in the right spirit they are welcome). Our sessions constantly evolve to meet the needs of participants and with safeguarding in mind - for example we keep the ball below cross bar height when the age profile is older /there are people wearing glasses. We have introduced referees to control running and contact. We have "etiquette" on how to include players of different abilities. 

Obviously when we send teams to compete in competitions, we recognise a lot of this goes out the window, but not everyone wants to take part in competitive tournaments. 

I think you will find that the FA will offer support to new sessions in the way of advice and a tool kit in how to go about setting up. They will offer a set of rules as they do now and then it will be up to each session to deliver walking football as they see fit. They will not dictate to individual sessions but just offer support and perhaps direct contact with similar needs so that 'best practice' can be seen and shared. 

They dont interfere at thousands of junior football training sessions so why would they at walking football.

They may however through county FA development officers be best able to assist development.

They will hopefully as well continue to support FA affiliated leagues and competition which through affiliation should achieve a consistency in rules and referees over time.

• Thanks 1

Very similar to yourselves Seasider - we started 5 years ago and have made up our own rules to suit, open ages (some Dads and Sons come along - even Grandad and Grandson) - always try and adapt to keep the interest amongst the guys. We have sourced our own Public Lialbility Insurance, number of us have done the FA Emergency Aid course and also been CRB checked. Have had to find guys to ref too. Just think a simple package with the basics (as would be the case with any other form of football Club within the Counties) be afforded to WF.

This thread started about the upcoming FA workshops. Many people never play outside their own session but get so much out of WF in so many ways - want to ensure Recreational WF is given the same level of importance.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gy Corinthian said:

I think you will find that the FA will offer support to new sessions in the way of advice and a tool kit in how to go about setting up. They will offer a set of rules as they do now and then it will be up to each session to deliver walking football as they see fit. They will not dictate to individual sessions but just offer support and perhaps direct contact with similar needs so that 'best practice' can be seen and shared. 

They dont interfere at thousands of junior football training sessions so why would they at walking football.

They may however through county FA development officers be best able to assist development.

They will hopefully as well continue to support FA affiliated leagues and competition which through affiliation should achieve a consistency in rules and referees over time.

Yes - hopefully that will happen. I've been involved in junior football for over 12 years and found the FA and county FA on the whole supportive. 

19 minutes ago, Walking Football Bedford said:

Very similar to yourselves Seasider - we started 5 years ago and have made up our own rules to suit, open ages (some Dads and Sons come along - even Grandad and Grandson) - always try and adapt to keep the interest amongst the guys. We have sourced our own Public Lialbility Insurance, number of us have done the FA Emergency Aid course and also been CRB checked. Have had to find guys to ref too. Just think a simple package with the basics (as would be the case with any other form of football Club within the Counties) be afforded to WF.

This thread started about the upcoming FA workshops. Many people never play outside their own session but get so much out of WF in so many ways - want to ensure Recreational WF is given the same level of importance.

We're lucky as we are part of a larger football club, so have managed to affiliate and get insurance as the wider club. I'd like to see a tailored first aid course for walking football as well as a specific safeguarding course. The emergency aid course doesn't go far enough. 

9 minutes ago, GONE2POT said:

Whoever is going to a workshop the key question is:

WHAT IS THE BUDGET?

No budget ...no strategy

Waste of time

The County FA have definitely had a budget to spend on helping develop wf.. We have regular meetings to network with other teams, find out about support and other funding available,  and they fully fund tournaments. I imagine the central fa will also set aside a budget. Definitely something to ask at the meetings though. 

9 minutes ago, GONE2POT said:

WHAT IS THE BUDGET?

No budget ...no strategy

Waste of time

The County FA have definitely had a budget to spend on helping develop wf.. We have regular meetings to network with other teams, find out about support and other funding available,  and they fully fund tournaments. I imagine the central fa will also set aside a budget. Definitely something to ask at the meetings though. 

23 minutes ago, GONE2POT said:

WHAT IS THE BUDGET?

No budget ...no strategy

Waste of time

Sorry this is the wrong type of attitude to take if we want to take Walking Football forward, all input positive or negative should be taken into consideration. We have to be realistic and acknowledge the FA are not going suddenly hand out thousands of pounds to organisations and clubs, what they will do is help give clubs, teams and sessions the tools to go forward.

FA affiliation will most likely be the way forward, with this you can get reduced player injury insurance, club, team or session liability insurance being one of the benefits.

Having experienced trying to go down the non affiliation route with a league I was Secretary of it is not worth the time devoted to it, several scenario came to light. The first some local facilities needed a copy of teams liability insurance policy or their FA registration number before accepting bookings, another was the FA put a block on referees officiating matches in our league with the threat of sanctions against any referees who officiated. All this was when Development Officers were in their infancy at county level so we did not receive the support now available which is another big positive now.

Before anyone asks the question I am not aligned to the FA or any football organisation. I simply play football now, at 5 a side, WF and 11 a side, my experience of being a team Secretary for 33 years and a league Secretary for 19 years gives me I feel an insight in developing and working with partner organisations.

• Thanks 2

Your Opinion Counts - Become Part Of The Largest Online Walking Football Community Today

Become a Walking Football.com member to share your view

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Walking Football Tournament Photos

Featured Partner

Social Media

Like Walking Football?
    Then Please Take A Moment to Like Us
    On Facebook & Share Our Site