Welcome to

Walking Football.com

Take a moment to register on the site so

that you keep up to date with the latest

news in Walking Football

REGISTER HERE

It's Completely FREE to Register So What Are You Waiting For?

referee referee

Alan Richards

New F.A. 'Strategy'

On 12/1/2017 at 11:48 PM, Big Mac said:

How can the WFA be taken seriously if they are going behave this way?

In life if you put yourself in the limelight you must be prepared to take the accolades and also the criticism. An organisation should not overreact when something is said or written that is critical, a threat of legal action should always be the last resort. Surely if the WFA are feeling outraged a dialogue between parties is the first course of action.

Are teams affiliation fees to be used to pay for the WFA legal fees?I am sure teams did not pay their affiliation fees for them to be squandered on what appears to be childish spat.

BIG MAC.

You are incorrect. This will be a personal matter not a Company one, so the WFA will not be involved and will not incur any legal costs. Indeed, if it is deemed to be a malicious communication then it will be a matter for the police and there will be no costs for the offended party either.

For the benefit of all this forum's members, it would be wise to remember that all your posts should be carefully worded in case they contravene the Malicious Communications Act, which can result in a serious criminal prosecution, which can lead to imprisonment. For example, personal honestly held views are fine, but calling someone a liar or falsely casting doubts on someone's professionalism and credentials (as appears to be the case here with both GY and with Left Foot ) is definitely not acceptable nor lawful.

In 2014, 1,209 people were found guilty of offences under Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003.

In 2015 this number rose to 2094. That is 6 people every day. No doubt the numbers have risen since these statistics were made available.

Freedom of speech does mean the freedom to write malicious character assassinations. Anonymity will not protect these foolish individuals as the law ensures the forum host has to provide full identification.

Lets get this back into context:

The High Threshold at the Evidential Stage

There is a high threshold that must be met before the evidential stage in the Code for Crown Prosecutors (the Code) will be met. Furthermore, even if the high evidential threshold is met, in many cases a prosecution is unlikely to be required in the public interest. See further the sections below on The Public Interest and Article 10 ECHR.

In Chambers v DPP [2012] EWHC 2157 (Admin), the Lord Chief Justice made it clear that:

"Satirical, or iconoclastic, or rude comment, the expression of unpopular or unfashionable opinion about serious or trivial matters, banter or humour, even if distasteful to some or painful to those subjected to it should and no doubt will continue at their customary level, quite undiminished by [section 127 of the Communications Act 2003]."

Prosecutors are reminded that what is prohibited under section 1 of the Malicious Communications Act 1988 and section 127 of the Communications Act 2003 is the sending of a communication that is grossly offensive. A communication sent has to be more than simply offensive to be contrary to the criminal law. Just because the content expressed in the communication is in bad taste, controversial or unpopular, and may cause offence to individuals or a specific community, this is not in itself sufficient reason to engage the criminal law. As Lord Bingham made clear in DPP v Collins:

This is taken from the Crown Prosecution Service guide for prosecutors in relation to this offence.

This is a members forum on which discussions are held and different opinions shared. We do not all agree all of the time but we are moderated by the site management whom I am sure would immediately remove anything they thought to be  "grossly offensive" or of an "indecent or obscene character". (again taken from the legislation). 

Gone 2 Pot talks about anonymity and "foolish individuals". My identity has been shared many times on these threads. Is being described as a foolish individual any more serious than reporting an opinion on a WFA Newsletter article that i felt "grossly exaggerated" the events at the event I attended and that Paul Carr was present at? Gone 2 Pot has called me "ignorant" within posts on this thread and now Gone 2 Pot (whoever he/she is, hiding behind anonymity) posts to warn about posters carrying out malicious character assassinations but is still doing it themselves.

'Chill your beans' and recognise that we have a difference of opinion about a number of issues.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Well there you go GYC - comes with the territory of a full time capacity to over-spout on all things WF. Perhaps you are not the all-seeing oracle you CLEARLY set out to be on this platform. Why not ratchet in a few clicks and continue on a part time basis? Big Mac needs to go vegetarian as he's constantly at the wrong table on a poor diet. And Mr Left Brain himself (aka Mr Agenda - could be any Tom, Dick or Paul.)  Any opportunity to increase the discredit to support his personal vendetta. Like I say, I don't get on here much, and go about my quiet Cumbrian walking football without much politics, with the few clubs we have, but is is patently clear what a few despicable characters are continually setting out to achieve on WF.com. Shameful and needless.

• Confused 1

As I am a fellow Cumbrian Quantumofsolace you should know my diet will never be Vegetarian, it consists of Haighs Cumberland Sausage, patties from Superfish and tattiepots made with Haighs best black pudding. For my out of county friends Haighs is butchers in Cumbria that makes the best Cumberland Sausage in Cumbria.

• Thanks 1

I only eat fish... 🎣

I have some genuine questions:

1) Who are the female reps on the WFA, and is there a strategy for recruiting BAME volunteers? County FA has a women's development officer and a dedicated wf contact with a budget. 

2) What is the WFA budget for supporting local clubs develop walking football? See 1)not sure exact figure for FA, but tournaments and refs are provided free of charge. Also supports new teams set up activities and marketing. Support also available through Just Play scheme. 

3) What courses are the WFA going to provide for WF coaches /facilitators? FA provides courses for licensed coaches including emergency aid, safeguarding and coaching ones, though I fed back at the meeting that these need tweaking to make them a bit more relevant to coaching older people. 

• Like 1
    • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I only eat fish... 🎣

I have some genuine questions:

1) Who are the female reps on the WFA, and is there a strategy for recruiting BAME volunteers? County FA has a women's development officer and a dedicated wf contact with a budget. 

2) What is the WFA budget for supporting local clubs develop walking football? See 1)not sure exact figure for FA, but tournaments and refs are provided free of charge. Also supports new teams set up activities and marketing. Support also available through Just Play scheme. 

3) What courses are the WFA going to provide for WF coaches /facilitators? FA provides courses for licensed coaches including emergency aid, safeguarding and coaching ones, though I fed back at the meeting that these need tweaking to make them a bit more relevant to coaching older people. 

What a naive question!

The FA was established in 1863

The WFA was established in 2016

Please give them some time and show some sensible and realistic patience.

What can be said, is that the WFA have done more for the sport in 1 year than the FA with all their resources have done in the last 5 years.

16 minutes ago, GONE2POT said:

What a naive question!

The FA was established in 1863

The WFA was established in 2016

Please give them some time and show some sensible and realistic patience.

What can be said, is that the WFA have done more for the sport in 1 year than the FA with all their resources have done in the last 5 years.

Hardly naive! I find your constant digs insulting, so please stop with these derogatory comments. I've been a qualified coach for over 12 years, so hardly naive. 

I've affiliated to the WFA. I was told on here there were 2 females on the board. I don't know who they are - the only board names on the website are 3 men. I'm looking at developing a female group, so surely it's a reasonable question? 

What's naive about a finance question? Doesn't an NGA need a budget? Again, asking about their strategies is surely not unreasonable? Especially when the FA are being criticised for meeting people to develop theirs.

I am not pro or anti the WFA, so quite why you feel you need to keep leaping to their defence by attacking anyone who dares to ask questions about them puzzles me. 

You argue to give the WFA time, but criticise others for affording  the  FA the same grace. In my experience, the County FA has given us far more meaningful support than WFA has done to date. 

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

"Whoever is going to a workshop the key question is: WHAT IS THE BUDGET? No budget ...no strategy Waste of time"

Gone 2 Pot - this is what you said about the FA, so I was asking the same about the WFA. 

Are you a WFA representative? 

• Like 1
    • Thanks 2

Not been on here for a while, and just read through this thread in one session.

The tonal development from page one is quite interesting, right up to the point towards the end where it begins to turn very dark.

All in all pretty unedifying, but that`s social media for you.

Think I need to go and lie down in a dark room.

• Establishment of a recreational growth fund to support recreational football including small sided, Futsal and walking football

Looks like the FA may be catching up a bit on the curve - after all the input from the Workshops - will be interesting to see what the proposals are!

• Like 1

Thread back on track. 

I'd forgotten the backbiting and the threats of legal action. Let's hope we can return to the subject calmly. The establishment of a fund from which WF may benefit is a start. Next step ? The findings from the recent national consultation.....better sooner than later I think.

• Like 2

Would hope Alan the fact Walking Football is on the FA Statement lifts it up the priority agenda a few notches. Perhaps the funding can give the County FA's more time to spend developing the game and for some of the specific areas (Refs, First Aid courses etc) that seemed to come up in reports I've seen from the workshops. Also like to think the rise in the profile will mean a more consistent approach from the County FA's around the Country.

• Like 2

Your Opinion Counts - Become Part Of The Largest Online Walking Football Community Today

Become a Walking Football.com member to share your view

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Walking Football Tournament Photos

Featured Partner

Social Media

Like Walking Football?
    Then Please Take A Moment to Like Us
    On Facebook & Share Our Site