Welcome to

Walking Football.com

Take a moment to register on the site so

that you keep up to date with the latest

news in Walking Football

REGISTER HERE

It's Completely FREE to Register So What Are You Waiting For?

referee referee

Alan Richards

Manchester F.A. Referee development

Garry Pearce and myself attended another meeting at Manchester County F.A. today.  This had been arranged prior to Andy Dyke's consultation evening and went ahead as planned. Indeed, Andy had encouraged local dialogue - each county F.A has a measure of autonomy,  so this latest meeting was very fortuitous.

We met with Sarah Venning (Community Development Officer)  and Tom Elliot (Referee Development Officer). We put forward our doubts about the F.A. rules and our preference for the W.F.A. version.  It soon became clear that we were talking to people who were listening.

What transpired has implications for walking football in this area.  Tom is offering to  put together an eight hour course which will train, accredit, certify and badge F.A. Walking Football Referees to the rules that the majority of us wish to play.  Primarily  a  non-contact game, and other more subtle differences that have proved a sticking point, and are causing division in the game.

Although I cannot go into full detail just yet, (venue and times etc.) this will probably take place in January. There may be a very modest cost to participants, for venue hire.

We need 12 applicants and we can provide about five from our own ranks. Other places are open to those locally, who are interested

We urge all interested groups and clubs local to Manchester, and falling within the boundaries of the County F.A. (or very close)   to consider this opportunity and to be willing to input their preferences for our walking game when that opportunity arises. This is a good chance to boost the number of Referees from within the ranks of those already committed to the game. Hopefully, other County F.A.'s might be encouraged to offer a similar initiative soon if they are approached and the need is emphasised. 

• Like 3

I don't know what to think about this.

It is great that your local FA are entering into dialogue and looking to provide some form of training/development for walking football referees in your area. I hope it proves to be a fantastic success.

However , although you don't go into details it appears that the course will be based around WFU laws, which are about to be voted upon by accredited clubs regarding potential changes and not FA laws of the game. Or will it in fact be based upon a hybrid of laws that you and others in the Manchester area are happy to use? This is my concern about standardisation. Will the event be the same as those delivered in Kent and Derbyshire by their respective county FA's or is it bespoke to Manchester and therefore any accreditation only relevant in Manchester?

So all I can do is wish you well with it, I hope it helps in the development of walking football referees in your area but I hope you can also understand my concerns that it could also potentially split the game even further with yet another set of laws being introduced. I hope I am wrong to be concerned.

2 hours ago, Cudda6972 said:

As a FA five a side ref myself what would i have to do to get on this course as well,as the rules are different for both games  

If you are in the Manchester area 'Cudda'  drop me a line with your name and club please  - [email protected]

Likewise other people who may wish to take part - we are halfway to getting a minimum of twelve names required. I would imagine that accreditation would only apply to this area as things stand but cannot confirm that at the moment.  This area is our prime concern to be honest. We seldom go further afield and if we do it would probably be for a friendly games where rules could be agreed upon beforehand. We are very happy to continue playing in the GMWF league and knockout cups under the WFA rules that the competition applies.

For the local area, establishing a larger 'pool' of Referees who have attended courses and 'qualified' for walking football can only be a good thing. Our group  would hope that's a positive for everyone involved in the game.

GY I understand your concerns. It was explained to us the the Laws of the Game are different to competition  'rules' . As such we hope to consult with others who play in this area throughout December and get some kind of consensus with which we can carry into the course.  There are a few subtle differences to iron out but the main thing is this will be a non-contact code.  One anomaly  in the FA rules I picked up on was you can score direct from the kick off !!  This is encouraging force from the very start and you tell me how a walking player can generate enough power on the ball to hope to score from the half way line ?  Also the FA Rules states" the run up for a penalty must not exceed one step".  Bizarre in my opinion,  and indicative of a lack of thought nationally. I'd ask all groups or clubs in this area to consider this as an opportunity to bring some harmony locally and perhaps show a way forward.  We are also planning to affiliate to the WFA when my  co-treasurer returns from holidays - two signatories required on cheques. One organisation  is not mutually exclusive to the other. We are already affiliated to the FA and I hope some good can come from the planned meeting of both bodies.

The shot from the kick off is no game breaker for me, touch to another player and they can still strike it forward, can they not. The 'run up' again is just a grammatical error for me.

However as I have stated many times a set of unified standard laws would be great. Wide consultation is what is required to ensure the laws suit the majority.

I wish you well and all the attendees. It should at least provide a standardised approach in your area. Good luck with it and I would welcome sight of any learning objectives for the training.

This course could be useful as a trial of rules taking in the best of the WFA & FA rules, see how they operate in the game, see what works and what doesn't. Then try iron out any problems, hopefully then set a standardised set of rules that clubs can use whether under the WFA or FA umbrella.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

This course could be useful as a trial of rules taking in the best of the WFA & FA rules, see how they operate in the game, see what works and what doesn't. Then try iron out any problems, hopefully then set a standardised set of rules that clubs can use whether under the WFA or FA umbrella.  

Big Mac, it could be, but there is the need for consultation first to ensure that the laws are what the majority want .

Hopefully the forums the FA are holding will highlight this, the trouble is all this consultation takes time, the trials followed by evaluation before implementation will not be quick enough for some. Hopefully if people can see there's work on a set of standardised rules they will be patient. It is worth producing a robust set of rules that are fit for purpose and are what people want rather than a cobbled together rushed set that cause confusion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gy Corinthian said:

The shot from the kick off is no game breaker for me, touch to another player and they can still strike it forward, can they not. The 'run up' again is just a grammatical error for me.

However as I have stated many times a set of unified standard laws would be great. Wide consultation is what is required to ensure the laws suit the majority.

I wish you well and all the attendees. It should at least provide a standardised approach in your area. Good luck with it and I would welcome sight of any learning objectives for the training.

Passing to another player is not 'scoring from the kick off' though, is it? And grammatical errors are details which should and would have been spotted by a serious and  thoughtful compiler.  Thanks for your good wishes, I'd be pleased to  keep you informed of what's happening around here. The wider the consultation the better for all of us in the Manchester area....and beyond. You take the game seriously and are a student of it. Dialogue with you is always worthwhile GY.

• Like 1

Update: Enquiries into  a local venue are continuing. The Manchester County F.A. is targeting  residents within Greater Manchester.  As there are only twelve places available places on this first initiative, places are necessarily restricted.  Limited to one or two people per group at the moment - dependant upon size/player base etc. The question of consulting groups in the area to see what changes to other rules are required, will be sorted soon, I hope. The main thing here though is that this will lead to F.A. recognition of a NON-CONTACT game locally.  Surely what many of us want. I have contacted as many people as I know from my limited contact list  to inform them of this development. I can spread the word further tonight, when we have a friendly game in Heywood.  I stress, that personally I have no particular ambition to involve myself in Walking Football beyond our own groups at Denton and Ashton. If this course (and subsequent ones) mean we get a few badged and accredited F.A. Referees available for our  Greater MANCHESTER based  sessions and friendlies I'll be well pleased. We have not got very far yet, but we've got this far...simply because I approached Manchester County F.A.  Might I suggest those in other areas try doing the same where you think it's necessary?

We have a venue - classroom environment and a training pitch for practical work at  a very sensible pocket money price per individual. Watch this space for further news of this Manchester based course, which of necessity is for Greater Manchester based people.

• Like 2

I have contacted several clubs and group in the Manchester area about sending a delegate/candidate to this forthcoming Referee course in January.  Very modest cost per person  is involved to facilitate the venue.

However, I do not have contact details for everyone within our Greater Manchester area. Half of the places on this initial course (for twelve) are now booked. If you qualify as a resident and haven't heard from me yet please see contact details - 'phone number and email on the header photo of our website at Denton Walking Football Goup  linked <here>

Likewise please if you want to discuss the changes to existing FA Rules that many of us feel are needed, Non-Contact; Definition of Running; and other subtle changes. Locally, have every chance of adapting these rules so please get in touch to express your view. We hope to hold a meeting before the course to facilitate this discussion.

It is hoped other courses WILL follow this one.

We so far have NINE names for this F.A. Referee course across five different groups.  The course  is now CONFIRMED for the 15th & 19th January 2018.

Monday and Friday afternoons - 12-30pm. to 4-30pm. In the 'Nash Bar' at Curzon Ashton F.C. Ashton-under-Lyne.

There will be a couple of brews but have lunch first or bring a butty.

There are three places left for Greater Manchester residents who wish to help  the game develop. Cost to the individual is £5 per session.£10 in total.  You will emerge with F.A. accreditation and certification if successful. Added authority and weight to your Refereeing under RULES we can shape locally. 

If you want a place please  ring 07387 174934 or email me via our website (google Tameside Striders or The Nash Amblers). Likewise if you wish to be consulted about the rule changes we need to agree on before this course.

In the light of the inaction we have seen over  the thorny problem of Ref's and suitable F.A. rules  it is hoped the Manchester Walking Football  community WILL engage with this process.  Other courses may well follow on from this one.

Again I urge people in other areas to contact their County Associations towards the same ends if you feel it necessary.

P.S. if you're coming to the course and turn up before 11-00am you can even have a game with us if you wish !

2 hours ago, Cudda6972 said:

Can you put me down for the course  😁

As explained via email it will be better if the benefits from this first course  reach  as many people as possible. That's why we want to include representatives of clubs and groups.  You said yourself you don't play for any club but have twice weekly kickabouts.  I'm not knocking that at all but if other organisers,  or regular team players with hopes of Refereeing games in the future take up all of the places it will be beneficial to the spread of Ref's.  How many walking football games have you Refereed so far ?

We as a group - a thinking group that wants to carry the game forward constructively, increase the pool of Referee's and engage others in the dialogue  are almost ready to submit our proposals for F.A. Rule changes to Manchester County F.A. for their consideration.

First,  we wish to consult our peers and fellow walking footballers in the area. 

This forum is probably the most widely contributed to in walking football (to be honest there's not much competition and many seem almost  moribund) but if you know of any busier ones please tell me. I will of course email our draft to those attending the course in  January for your consideration.  If you play in the Manchester area and would like to see a copy and give YOUR view please get in touch through our website  (Google Tameside Striders) or message via this site's facility. In a nutshell - A new definition of running - it's down to the Referee as sole arbiter. If he / she says you're running you are running.   Non-contact definition 'not ALL contact will be penalised but ALL contact MAY be penalise' - again at the  Referee's discretion.

Penalty kick for reckless, careless, cynical, HEAVY contact OR tackling,  DELIBERATE handball  in a defenders half of the field whether or not they deny a scoring opportunity.  One or two other tweaks. Head high deflection behind off the 'keeper - CORNER.  No scoring from the kick off but scoring from  a Corner gets a green light. Comments welcome from anywhere of course but this is initially aimed at Manchester County F.A. for their consideration.  Thank you.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Shares You View - Become Part Of Our Community

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Walking Football Tournament Photos

Featured Partner

Social Media