Welcome to

Walking Football.com

Take a moment to register on the site so

that you keep up to date with the latest

news in Walking Football

REGISTER HERE

It's Completely FREE to Register So What Are You Waiting For?

referee referee

Gy Corinthian

Laws , Laws, Laws and yet more Laws

lots of talk about laws on here and other social network forums. Seems clear to me that although there are differences of opinion there is a lot of common ground.Please stick with this lengthy post and please feedback your thoughts and suggestions.

So I have looked at the FA Laws and looked at articles on other social media sites and having consulted with another forum member I have produced a 'revised' set of laws for walking football. Now it is important from the outset that i do not see these as being the finished article but perhaps a place where we can actually start to feed in to each other and come up with a set of laws that will be acceptable for the majority of walking footballers. Again it is important that we realise that we as members of this forum then need to share to the coordinators of walking football at a national level 'our' collective view on the laws required for walking football. It is also important that these laws are aimed at competition walking football as a standard set of laws, local variations to suit local delivery would not be affected by these laws (3 touch etc).

I have used the FA laws as my template as I am sure members will have identified my preference to their set of laws, but i have made changes suggested by WFA/WFU supporters such as no goal scored from the kick off. 

The two biggest areas of issue will no doubt be NON-CONTACT and RUNNING.

It is quite right that we look to drive out the cloggers, there is no place in this game for such players. However I still believe that there is room for the skillful defender to use their ability to tackle cleanly an opponent. So my first draft includes : Walking Football is predominantly a non-contact sport although some contact may occur and not all contact will be judged a foul.

I see this as a starting point to recognise that things such as shoulder charges, arms across the body etc have no place in walking football but that an accidental brush of the arm or an accidental clash of feet during a front on contest for the ball are acceptable and unavoidable.

With regard to running I was previously happy with the one foot in contact with the floor at all times being suitable. It is clear that this still allows running to occur so it needs revisiting. I looked at the straight leg heel strike method being advocated by WFU and have been using this method personally for a while. I now have sore knees! Cant't definitely put it down to this but it may be contributing. I also have seen communications about this from a man more qualified than me in sports medicine/injuries and how he sees potential dangers form such a gait. So I am sorry to say I am suggesting putting the onus back on the referee..........waits for the grenades! This is what I am suggesting.

Walking

A free kick is awarded if in the opinion of the referee a player

runs in possession of the ball

runs to gain a positional advantage

runs to interfere with an opponent

Sorry for the lengthy post and I was going to do a bit more consultation before placing onto the forum but as I am going away next week I decided to get the ball rolling. The full set of proposals are attached below and i look forward to and welcome any suggestions. Lets see if we as a community can sets things in motion to sort a unified set of laws that can be placed before national organisers/coordinators of walking football.

Reviewed Laws of the game.docxReviewed Laws of the game.docx

• Thanks 1

GY - good solid start to what I'm sure will provoke lots of comments (hopefully it does and they can constructively be built on).

One concern having recently trialed a Central Venue League night where we had 5 Teams. Some people are very adept at cheating by running to catch someone when clean through on goal -  the simple award of an indirect free kick doesn't seem enough of a punishment in that instance - in theory they could do it 3 times before being punished?

3 minutes ago, Walking Football Bedford said:

GY - good solid start to what I'm sure will provoke lots of comments (hopefully it does and they can constructively be built on).

One concern having recently trialed a Central Venue League night where we had 5 Teams. Some people are very adept at cheating by running to catch someone when clean through on goal -  the simple award of an indirect free kick doesn't seem enough of a punishment in that instance - in theory they could do it 3 times before being punished?

I would say that should result in an automatic sin bin if in the referees opinion it denies a goal scoring opportunity, others may say that you could award a penalty, perhaps as some suggest as well the running sin bin should be team based as opposed to individual based. Let's hear you views everybody, it is really important.

My own view: (and I don't mind lengthy posts in the slightest):D

Walking football IS a non-contact game (not predominantly) but I agree with your qualification that not ALL contact is a foul, not ALL contact will be penalised BUT ALL contact may be penalised.

Not scoring from the kick off takes the force element out of the start of the game.

Your running rule puts the onus on the Referee which is correct and where it belongs.  It's not possibly always to see where feet are in relation to the ground but if the Referee thinks you're running it's highly likely that you are.  Anyway the Referee has said so, so  it's an irreversible  fact. End of story on that one for me. 

PERHAPS fouls and cynical play like deliberate handball or shirt pulling can be penalised with  a one step Direct Free kick just as a way of differentiating the gravity of offences and not overloading the Referee with  a whole long list of indirect/direct offences. 

I think you have put a lot of thought into this GY and should be applauded.  It is a good first step and with common sense from both sides and the many other opinions we are finding as we broaden our horizons.

Incidentally I Refereed a very competitive internal session today. Three free kicks for running and not one single case of contact in 45 minutes walking football. 

Thanks for your efforts on this, good food for thought - everyone should put their views forward.

• Like 1

Hi GY,

Great work and i totally understand and agree with there needing to be a revised set of standard rules for Comps.

However in my opinion these rules need to be even more defined, lets get rid of ifs and buts, this or that.

Lets define them.

These are my personal opinions:

If we talking just comps and this is not affecting local festivals, recreational etc then we should outlaw the use of barriers, all pitches should have lines marked.

In the Safety section, playing surface. Why allow turf ?

Ball, Its walking FOOTBALL, not walking Futsal size 4 Football. Size 5 standard ball the same as normal football as the STANDARD., no if or but.

Height of Ball ,

Sorry but totally confusing :

If a height infringement occurs within the penalty area and is committed by the goalkeeper, an indirect free kick should be awarded 3m from the penalty area line nearest to where the offence took place.

The exceptions to this rule shall be when the ball rises above the designated height restriction resulting from a save or block performed by a goalkeeper.

·       If the ball deflects above head height but remains within the penalty area, then possession is retained by the goalkeeper (This is obvious , no one else can enter the area so the goalkeeper automatically retains it)

·       If the ball deflects above head height and leaves the confines of the penalty area back into play. It is deemed to be a dead ball and play restarts with the goalkeeper in possession( Too many players have latched on to the fact if they punch or kick the ball out and above height instead of trying the save it then the balls comes back to them, this is being done on purpose so stick to if the balls is deflected above head height from a goalkeeper attempting to make a save or off a post or crossbar and leaves the area it is back in play once it comes below head height)

·       If the ball deflects above head height and then crosses the goal line between the goal posts and below the crossbar then a goal is awarded(agree )

·       If the ball deflects above head height and crosses the goal line outside of the goal, then a corner is awarded( Agree)

I would stick with the FA Laws 

The exception to this rule shall be when the ball rises above the designated height restriction resulting from a save or block performed by a goalkeeper. Play should continue in this circumstance. Should another player then play the ball whilst it is at a height above the designated height restriction, this will result in an indirect free kick to the opposing team.

If the ball deflects above head height but remains within the penalty area, then possession is retained by the goalkeeper (This is obvious , no one else can enter the area so the goalkeeper automatically retains it)

I put this in as some would see that it is an offence for the ball to go above head height and that a free kick should be awarded 3m outside the penalty area at the nearest point to the infringement.

If the ball deflects above head height and leaves the confines of the penalty area back into play. It is deemed to be a dead ball and play restarts with the goalkeeper in possession

The reason for this was to remove the potential for aerial contests as the ball leaves the penalty area and a leaning towards the WFA laws. (I personally would be happy to stick with the FA Laws)

If we talking just comps and this is not affecting local festivals, recreational etc then we should outlaw the use of barriers, all pitches should have lines marked.

In the Safety section, playing surface. Why allow turf ?

We need to allow for different venues. I personally don't like barriers either and if there were sufficient venues then I would agree but many clubs play at venues with barriers or walls. Would it be right to exclude them? Including those who play on grass (turf). I have been playing at 2 venues that use grass pitches, not as good as 3G but if that is what the facility allows then it has to do.

Ball, Its walking FOOTBALL, not walking Futsal size 4 Football. Size 5 standard ball the same as normal football as the STANDARD., no if or but.

We use size 4 Astro ball in our internal sessions. At the Leeds FA Workshop there was a call for a designated ball to made for walking football and the feeling was more to a futsal type ball to lessen bounce etc. Definitely an area for debate.

Thanks for the feedback Tony hope we get some more views to make it a worthwhile exercise. Lots of people viewing the topic but not putting forward their views and I know we would all welcome both positive and negative feedback.

Well done GY for getting this started but it is difficult to debate this properly via a forum, email etc and a big meeting would be more useful. In terms of competitive rules we perhaps should be looking at the competition rules that already exist and have had a good try out in conjunction with the FA laws and WFA laws. The various leagues around the country have perhaps more to offer the debate than the national competitions as more matches have taken place that involve consistent rules and referees.  The good and the bad from the rules have become  evident quickly in the competitive league environment.
    What if every county or those interested were to send a rep to a meeting with the FA to thrash it all out ?  NB – WFA attendees only as county representatives…

• Thanks 1

Left Foot,

I fully agree that a meeting of such leagues is a great idea. You are quite right that those from leagues will have far more experience of what is and isn't working.

I only see what I have done as an attempt to get a wider audience involved, recognising the fact that previously only a few have been involved in the process.

Maybe such a meeting may be part of the FA Strategy but perhaps in the meantime we could canvas our county FA reps in supporting a request for a meeting?

Surely best to wait and see what emerges from the WFA affiliates vote on rule changes - also the planned meet between WFA/FA before moving nationally.  The logistics of such  a meeting are not to be underestimated and if the call comes it needs to be from one or the other, or both in my opinion.  In the meantime, and before any national gathering which may follow an agreement,  I'd suggest contacting your local FA's (where there is not much dialogue at present ) and ask them to consider  changing their rules on a local basis  if that's what you want.

I dont see how you can go from asking peoples opinions on a set of proposed rules to all of a sudden looking at a national meeting when only two people have actually made any attempt to input or comment with their opinions ?

It does come across that this was maybe Left Foots hidden objective in the first place , do we really need another group alongside the FA/WFA to come up with yet another set of rules. He has been very quick with his request for a "big meeting" when the round of FA workshops are not even complete and as Alan says the revised WFA rules voted on or even the meeting between the two parties .

For what it's worth my view is that local sessions can play to whatever rules they wish be it over head height, 3 touch or whatever but tournaments need to have one set of rules and if the WFA and FA can get together and agree a set of rules then great. Nobody is going to agree on every rule as is clear from the contributors on this forum but the growing game needs consistent rules for competitions. Regardless of what rules are decided upon can we just remember that it is WALKING football.

• Like 2

Shares You View - Become Part Of Our Community

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

icon icon

Walking Football Tournament Photos

Featured Partner

Social Media