Welcome to

Walking Football.com

Take a moment to register on the site so

that you keep up to date with the latest

news in Walking Football

REGISTER HERE

It's Completely FREE to Register So What Are You Waiting For?

referee referee

Alan Richards

Pay the Penalty ?

I have tried several times to start a poll on here but all I get is 'something went wrong' so instead I will merely ask the Question. 

Should aggressive, heavy and /or cynical foul play in your own half of the field result in a penalty award to the opponent? Yes or No ?

I would also include cynical and deliberate handball in  a defensive position. 

I'm talking about one offence here -  not repeated offences.  The option of a blue or a red card in addition to a penalty is there for the Referee at his or her  discretion.

I'd be grateful for comments both pro or anti. If the Editor can set the poll up for me all the better. I tried several times. I had hoped it could run for a week or so.

At the moment it seems the only way you can get  a penalty kick is if the 'keeper strays from his area or a defender wanders into it !  This suggestion is aimed to try to stamp out physical play in  a non-contact format - but could surely also work in  a minimal contact format too ?

Edited by Alan Richards
    spacing error

Not in my opinion Alan, Penalties are for Penalty area infringements. Cards are the way forward for the other offences you mention. The quicker Ref's stamp down (excuse the pun) on physicality with cards, the quicker it will be eliminated from the game. 

• Like 2

I would vote yes.

As you point out Alan, as such, a penalty area for hand ball or a foul does not exist in the walking game as it does in the running game. Your idea would create one. 

There is no place for aggressive tackling in the walking game where, let's face it, our bones are getting brittle and injuries can take a long time to recover from. I have had a hip replacement and getting clattered could have serious consequences. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob Cole said:

I would vote yes.

As you point out Alan, as such, a penalty area for hand ball or a foul does not exist in the walking game as it does in the running game. Your idea would create one. 

There is no place for aggressive tackling in the walking game where, let's face it, our bones are getting brittle and injuries can take a long time to recover from. I have had a hip replacement and getting clattered could have serious consequences. 

I have had two hip replacements  Bob - and I agree.

No, there is NO penalty area so the sanction only extends to egress and ingress of the 'D'. Which means the single most potent 'punishment' aside from sending a player off does not really deter foul play in  walking football.

There is absolutely NO place for aggressive 'win the ball at any cost' play and if the award of a penalty which may (only may) cost your team the game might make some people think again - there are those who don't 'think' at all though, sadly. Do we let them get away with two minutes on the side lines?

Edited by Alan Richards
    'D' and the.

I would agree with Alan but I would suggest that the pitch is divided into quarters along its length and it is in the final "defence" quarter, where the attacking team are in with a chance of an attempt on goal, that noted fouls are punished by a penalty kick.

Posted (edited)

I am pleased to report there has been  a meeting of minds in Manchester on this subject.

The GMWF League -  arguably the North West's leading walking football  league, is introducing  penalty kicks for fouls committed with' recklessness and excessive force' for it's Spring sessions commencing next month.  I hope this proves a success in deterring the small minority of players who care little for the welfare of their opponents. This addendum to their WFA based rule package was announced last week.

As founder members we, The Nash Amblers applaud this move and are delighted with the Leagues continued stance on non-contact walking football.

I can confirm that Manchester County F.A. have adopted this non-contact stance, including the penalty kick option for fouls involving  'recklessness and excessive force' in ones defensive half of the pitch. Next weeks F.A. Referees course  candidates at Curzon Ashton F.C. will be schooled in this rule. The red and blue card option is of course  still open to the Referee for these and other offences in addition to awarding a penalty kick.

Edited by Alan Richards
    deterrent
    • Like 1

Alan, I would also add that as well as a penalty for the 1st offence of aggressive, reckless or dangerous tackling including slide tackles, shoulder charges or obstruction -

2nd Offence:
    By the same player will result in a 4 minute Blue Card Sin Bin, also a penalty awarded. 

3rd Offence: 
    By the same player will result in a Red Card and a penalty awarded, and that player plays no further part in that day's tournament.

The referee can red card a player if they feel that either the 1st or 2nd offence warrants that action immediately, and a penalty awarded. The player plays no further part in that day's tournament.

Plus our new Running Rules:

1st Offence: 
    An indirect free kick will be awarded to the opposition for any player running on or off the ball.

2nd Offence: 
    By the same player. An indirect free kick will be awarded to the opposition and a warning by the referee.

3rd Offence: 
    By the same player will result in a 4 minute Blue Card Sin Bin, also a penalty awarded. A player who has been blue carded for 4 minutes and repeats 3 more running offences will result in a Red Card to that player, also a penalty awarded, and that player plays no further part in that day's tournament.

If a player runs off the ball to try and gain an advantage in stopping the oppositions goal scoring chances by having a free kick awarded against him, the referee will allow play to continue as long as that player doesn't succeed in stopping the opposition's scoring chances. 

A warning will be given and a 2nd similar offence by that player will result in a 4 minute Blue Card Sin Bin and a penalty awarded. A 3rd similar offence by that player will result in a Red Card and a penalty awarded, and that player plays no further part in that day's tournament.

Draconian some may say but the Greater Manchester Walking Football Over 60's & Over 65's Leagues are determined that Non Contact Walking Football should mean just that.

Updated GMWFL Logo.png

• Like 2

that was very interesting reading, I like the blue card and warnings lets hope the refs have the nerv to get the cards out and use them :)

My personal view is that  this is a lot of information for Referees to process regarding running on top of everything else required of them.  However, if players CO-OPERATE and understand these rules will be applied they should have the discipline to WALK and make the Ref's job a lot easier.(it's never easy)

We have been playing 'three team runs a penalty' in internal games for the best part of a year now. But yesterday with larger than normal OVER 65 numbers on one pitch there were SIX penalties in  a fifty minute match.

The game ended in a nil-nil draw!o.O

Saves and illegal kicks with NO retakes seemed the order of the day.  As you know Bill our group is entering two teams into the GMWF once again and we appreciate your efforts to bring common sense to Heywood with these rules.

In our consultation with Manchester County F.A. we have not sought to introduce penalty kicks for running - totting up or otherwise but rely on cards instead.  It will be interesting to see how it works out for the league in the coming months.

I can confirm Bill's point that  the GMWF Referees are very good and ASSERTIVE. We as a group know two of them  very well indeed  and they are both, consistently outstanding.

(Honest Footnote: In a separate game yesterday I MYSELF was pulled for running (once) and I MISSED a penaltyO.o but the goal I got in a four one defeat was my personal silver lining.  - what I'm saying is most of us do it, but we need to keep it to  a minimum or the walking  game won't prosper, competitively, or otherwise)

Your Opinion Counts - Become Part Of The Largest Online Walking Football Community Today

Become a Walking Football.com member to share your view

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Walking Football Tournament Photos

Featured Partner

Social Media

Like Walking Football?
    Then Please Take A Moment to Like Us
    On Facebook & Share Our Site