Welcome to

Walking Football.com

Take a moment to register on the site so

that you keep up to date with the latest

news in Walking Football

REGISTER HERE

It's Completely FREE to Register So What Are You Waiting For?

referee referee

Keith

Footwear

The new rules state shin pads are now compulsory in competitions, nothing has been mentioned about studded boots. 12 months ago I had a broken bone in my foot caused by being caught with a studded boot. If shin pads are compulsory for safety, the studded boots should not be worn as a safety precaution. 

• Like 2

I agree Keith , I think the WFA have missed a trick here, especially as it was  suggested months ago to me that this was on their agenda.   I've raised this before only to be met with a small measure of polite scorn.

For me the multi studded plastic soled boots with a dozen or so studs (which present a fairly flat, uniform profile) are fine. The problem comes with six or eight studs well spaced out. It's common sense that fewer studs mean that each will exert a greater proportion of downward force of the weight of the wearer, and will therefore prove more painful if said wearer stands on ones foot. Also, the potential for glancing cuts and grazes is amplified. On the feet of an aggressive player they can be used as a 'weapon'. I've yet to see an artificial surface yet that Astro trainers - with pimpled sole - were not the perfect footwear for.

Edited by Alan Richards
    'were' not 'was'

If I had not had a job where I could sit down most of the time, a boss who was understanding,  I could have been of work for 5 weeks. 

I was stood on while playing in goal well over 2 months ago by a player wearing moulded boots and my arm is still sore so I say studs/ moulded boots of any type should not be allowed  

47 minutes ago, Cudda6972 said:

I was stood on while playing in goal well over 2 months ago by a player wearing moulded boots and my arm is still sore so I say studs/ moulded boots of any type should not be allowed  

I wouldn't argue against that, but there are some who would. Let's hear from them here....all good for debate.

Edited by Alan Richards

Pimple Astro trainers or multi studded moulded sole boots for me. I have a pair of both but do feel the multi studded boots provide better traction for me on our 3G playing surface, but pimples better on older surfaces experienced at some Goals Centre venues.

I read an article somewhere recently , that I can't locate at the moment, written by a sports company advocating multi studded boots rather than pimples as being the best suited to the most modern 3/4G surfaces.

I reckon some of our heavies would damage my feet if they stood on them even in ballet shoes😂

• Like 1

Hi GY 

I have both but only use studs on grass pitches,  which we don't play many games on, boot inspection is supposed to take at the start of competition games, most referee's don't bother so players could be wearing blades. 

Do you not use areas ?

I use pimple soles and multi plastic for 3G, have to admit i prefer the pimple soles.

Adding a different perspective to this.

The club I attend walking football sessions at play on grass but do not allow studs, so we all use astro trainers.

At the end of November I was playing in a game and the conditions were icy underfoot. My right foot slipped from underneath me and I ended up with a badly sprained ankle, badly sprained knee and a suspected hairline fracture in the lower leg.

So from a health and safety point of view, astro trainers are not suitable for grass during the winter period and opens up clubs to claims.

• Like 1

The game I was playing in was a competitive match with a local team, so the difference in surfaces available would need to be denoted in the rules in my opinion.

Yes I would agree with you on that point, the playing surface should be stated and also the allowed footwear on the competition rules. 

2 hours ago, BAC-937 said:

....So from a health and safety point of view, astro trainers are not suitable for grass during the winter period and opens up clubs to claims.

I think the clue is in the product description - 'Astro' (turf) Trainers.  There is a type of footwear suitable for grass that does not involved space out studs but I'm not sure what they are called. Will investigate.  Only used Astros on grass a couple of times but I got away with it.  Cheers BAC...

Just a word of caution on astro trainers.  Having snapped my ACL and had to have it reconstructed, along with two operations to repair my meniscus, the most probable cause of my injury were my astro trainers..  My foot planted and as I tried to swivel, my foot would not move and my knee twisted, and "crack"!  This was playing walking football (you can imagine the stick I've had on that one! ) and there was no contact with any other player.

I've since read some research to suggest the best footwear for 3g / 4g pitches are actually moulded studs (not metal obviously).  This enables your foot to pivot without getting "stuck" in the surface.  This has been supported by my surgeon and physio.

• Like 1

Your Opinion Counts - Become Part Of The Largest Online Walking Football Community Today

Become a Walking Football.com member to share your view

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Walking Football Tournament Photos

Featured Partner

Social Media

Like Walking Football?
    Then Please Take A Moment to Like Us
    On Facebook & Share Our Site