Welcome to

Walking Football.com

Take a moment to register on the site so

that you keep up to date with the latest

news in Walking Football

REGISTER HERE

It's Completely FREE to Register So What Are You Waiting For?

referee referee

Although the registration deadline for the February session of the Greater Manchester Over 60's Walking Football League has now past, we do have opportunities for the March, April and May sessions and there will be an Autumn season from September to December. See the Downloads tab on the website for the League Rules, League Team Registration Form and Team Entry Form.

February is the inaugural session of the league and we have made a decent start with 2 divisions of 4 teams. Why not join us in future months?

IMG_20160911_132653.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer. Maybe  it is possible. We organise this year for the second time an international walking football tournament in our city in the east of netherlands. Almelo. There are now 5 english teams entered. Wiltshire,  chelmsford, grimsby, herne Bay and a combiteam from heanor.we choose a minimum age over 55, because the most english teams are youger thans in the netherlands.  But with the Dutch rules is that lower important. Look for the Dutch rules and the review's of the english teams from last year our website www.almelocitycup.nl. you can read the site in english. If you are interested to Come to the netherlands there is Maybe space. This week must Several teams decided if they Come.  We have now 28 teams and we want max 32 teams. With our rules there are never injuries.  We organise also transport from the airport to almelo. 

The Greater Manchester Over 60's Walking Football League got off to a great start on Friday 3rd February. 8 teams in 2 divisions kicked off what promises to be a good season, with more teams joining in March. Read the report for more information.

5896413e280e6_DSCF7612(2).thumb.JPG.48bebe7370ca456a4e68f44074ad0aa1.JPG 

Having just played in the second session, can I congratulate the organisers on a superbly run session. The three referees used were the best I have ever played under, firm, fair and consistent. 

I am in no doubt that the over 60 format is responsible for a more laid back, less testosterone fuelled but equally as committed game.

And, if there is a better surface than Heywood Sports Village on which to play, I have yet to see it.

And a free brew after !

Interesting that you sampled three referees Brian.  On pitch 3 in Division Two we played with the same one constantly. It would have been good to have had a little variety.

Is this policy I wonder, or just  a quirk of the day?  Our Referee was OK by and large but he didn't spot this gallop, which led immediately to the goal that cost us the game.

Also - he awarded several corners after the ball had gone behind OVER head height off our goalkeeper.  It's my understanding under WFU rules & regulations that this circumstance means a  'dead ball'. Perhaps those more in the know can confirm? If I am correct I hope this is information that can be passed on to the Division Two Referee. Teams also need reminding this is not a competition playing to F.A. rules.  Some people were shouting  'Direct free kick Ref' - as I am 100% sure these play no part in WFU thinking.

I agree about the surface.  It was quite  superb, and a pleasure to play on.  Real adhesion with minimal danger of slippage when dry, or in the wet, even when wearing worn dimples.

Happily we may soon have similar at 'our place' if fund raising efforts permit. We currently play on worn out 3g. Hopes are high and efforts are in hand.

In conclusion, a much better occasion than last weekend's 'People's Cup'.  Perhaps a more punctual start next time and increased numbers in Division Two. Just three fifteen minute games is not really enough when trying to get everybody in ones squad  a fair share of time on the pitch.

The 'free brew' -  a feature synonymous with our  walking football is always welcomed.  Next time I shall be sure to sample one.

Thanks to the organisers and the facilitators. Well done to ALL of our opponents - there was no ugliness on view, unlike last week at Ardwick.

Once more we learned something on the day.

DSCF8166 (2).JPG

9 teams in 2 divisions competed in the March session of the Greater Manchester Over 60's Walking Football League, which was a great success thanks to some excellent refereeing, little physicality, a big clamp down on running and some great walking football. This is how the game should be played. Read the report here. Fancy joining us? Use the Contact Us page on the website.

Edited by tamesider1

Alan,

I agree that it is a good idea for teams to have different referee`s for games wherever possible. Perhaps Bill and Paul could look to implement going forward ?

On the issue of overhead height from off the goalkeeper, I would have thought that it was common sense that it a `keeper saves a shot by parrying it in the air behind the goal line over head height the obvious decision is a corner in the same way that it is a corner if the keeper pushes the ball round the post, or am I misunderstanding you ?

On your point about footwear, I could not disagree with you more.

When the rains came down on Friday, it was very noticeable in the games we played in the number of people who lost their footing, some ending up on the floor. The new generation of 3g artificial surfaces allow for molded sole football boots to be worn, and this should be the guiding factor ie "Footwear should be a choice based upon what is suitable for the individual and allowed at the location" Speaking personally, I have a chronic knee condition which necessitates a solid footing in order for me to be able to participate, Astroturf trainers on wet surfaces do not give me that security.The question of footwear does not appear to have been an issue anywhere else, you appear to have taken a personal incident and turned it into a bit of a crusade.

Alan, here is the relevant section of the rules re keeper and overhead height. As for rotating the referees, I will have a look at that when I do the fixtures for April.

At present it is so easier for me to just allocate a referee to a certain pitch but you do make a good point.

Snap_2017.03.06_10h33m28s_001.png

I have read that passage several times to myself since last Friday. This is how we play. How we interpret the rules and how  Alan Graham applies the rules. Despite Brian's point about 'common sense' (with which I do not disagree)  the rule clearly means that a ball parried or deflected over head height behind the goal line by  a 'keeper is not a corner. Are we agreed on that at least ?The key word being 'EXCEPT'. Personally I think it SHOULD  be a corner, but there we are.

Corners offer little advantage (under the rest of the rules) anyway. We've not really 'enjoyed' a corner at our venues since we introduced no heading and no 'D' ingress (Summer)

As for a personal 'crusade' Brian you may well be correct. MY feet, like your knees are valuable, personal commodities. Although I can honestly report I have not cajoled , coerced or even tried to persuade our players to agree with me - to  a man none of them wear studs on their feet and everyone I have spoken to thinks studs are not necessary. This is a sample of forty walking footballers across two venues.  I don't wish to labour this point any longer though , as the organisers have made their policy clear.  Neither our players, nor myself noticed any deterioration in 'traction' as the pitch moistened, but I shall take your word for it.

Edited by Alan Richards

Shares You View - Become Part Of Our Community

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

icon icon

Walking Football Tournament Photos

Featured Partner

Social Media