that you keep up to date with the latest

news in Walking Football

REGISTER HERE

referee referee
  • Language Selector

Fast Kev

WHO IS THE REAL WFA?

WHO IS THE REAL WFA?

The WFA is the National Governing Body for Walking Football in the United Kingdom  - That was taken from their website at https://thewfa.co.uk/

Their last entry was on https://thewfa.co.uk/2017/06/19/damian-collins-mp-joins-the-wfa-board/  which i believe was in June 2017? Maybe I am wrong?

Am I wrong?

But the WFU ---------- https://www.walkingfootballunited.co.uk/    is announcing this week........

• CHAIRMAN AND FOUNDER OF THE WORLD'S ONLY FOOTBALL UNIVERSITY JOINS THE WFA BOARD
  • HEAD OF PR APPOINTED Nick Johnson
  • REFEREE COURSE HAS ATTRACTED OVER 110 CANDIDATES
  • ENGLAND MANAGERS ROLE ATTRACTS OVER A DOZEN MOTIVATED HOPEFULS ENGLAND AMASS OVER 65 PLAYERS - POTENTIAL TO INCLUDE A 60+ SIDE

So who the blinking hell is / running the WFA website https://thewfa.co.uk/  and why are they taking money and not posting this important information like https://www.walkingfootballunited.co.uk is?

Can anyone please enlighten us?

But walking football is NOT football.

Why would walking football automatically be included in the F.A. remit? They appear to give the needs of septuagenarians and older scant regard in my opinion.

I agree there are things that need clarifying with, and from  the WFA - frankly, the sooner the better. But their philosophy and their rules are much more suited to the older player, and leave less room for subjective interpretation from Referees who are used to taking FOOTBALL matches.

If you read the websites and newsletters it quite clear that Mr Paul Carr runs the WFA website.

Mr Steve Rich has always and will always be the WFU.

They are separate websites with separate opinions etc, yes they are both involved in the WFA.

I find it quite funny that someone hiding behind an anonymous name is asking for this , seems a bit strange unless Fast Kev is going to tell us who he is ?

Alan, you know its the Beautiful game at a slower pace, which when i last looked was Football haha 

The clue is in the name.

Nobody has copyright to our wonderful English language. Not even the 'Football' Association. Coarse Fishing and Sea fishing (not that I know much about either) are totally different concepts with different issues and different ways of doing things. There is NO ' beautiful' game beyond the imagination of a few romantics.  Haha to you too.

Walking Football fits very well with the FA under the recreational football group, alongside futsal and small sided soccer.

The FA rules are suitable when applied properly. But yes they do need some amendment's.

In my opinion the FA do have thoughts about how best to develop the game but frustratingly they are not very forthcoming with communication. I believe they are currently re visiting the affiliation issue, looking at what is currently being offered and trying to develop a bespoke package suitable for walking footballers.

• Like 1

I am not interested in the politics of this and would just like to thank all those people who have helped put walking football on the map and brought pleasure, new friends and a new sense of purpose to thousands of the older generation.

I do feel that waiting for the FA to take the initiative is a very slow process that it is unlikely to happen in the short term and well done to Steve Rich, Paul Carr, John Croot and others for their efforts in filling the void and promoting the activity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Striker said:

I am not interested in the politics of this and would just like to thank all those people who have helped put walking football on the map and brought pleasure, new friends and a new sense of purpose to thousands of the older generation.

I do feel that waiting for the FA to take the initiative is a very slow process that it is unlikely to happen in the short term and well done to Steve Rich, Paul Carr, John Croot and others for their efforts in filling the void and promoting the activity.

For me, that's exactly what it is. An activity. Not a commodity to be  marketed, bundled and sold to generate money for people in suits....by anyone, or any corporate body.  All we need are a decent set of rules when different groups meet so they can both conform. Competitions beyond relatively local ones are overly ambitious for this game from where I sit - others will disagree and good luck to them. The further competitions spread their net, the higher some see the stakes and the prizes,  the more the likelihood of increased physicality and the more the ethos of the game will become blurred and begin to look like football. I'm not interested in the 'politics' of it either but if both sets of laws are applied properly I know which works best for the older player.

Fast Kev, the WFU is officially an independent website. It is run by Steve Rich who is a director and founder member of the WFA, thus the opinion expressed upon this website could hardly be deemed to be independent of that of the WFA. Ask yourself when has the WFU website queried let alone disagreed with anything from the WFA whilst in contrast it does frequently with the FA. The WFA website is not updated often it would seem but a newsletter is emailed out from the WFA and this is then quickly followed by the same news on the WFU website. It is perhaps a question of cost as to who reveals what, when and how with updates to the WFU website more easily and less costly achieved. It is quite pertinent to ask who the real WFA is, we all should be doing so.

Alan, if you are not interested in the politics then why do you comment upon it ? there are plenty of other areas of this website in which you can and do contribute without it being political. 
Whether we like it or not the politics are important, of interest to many and affect all. It is not simply a question of rules it is much deeper, it is about who governs the WF game, who is involved, transparency in their appointment and conduct, will there be funding, where the funding comes from, what it is used for etc etc thus it does impact upon us all. 

7 hours ago, Left foot said:

................Alan, if you are not interested in the politics then why do you comment upon it ? there are plenty of other areas of this website in which you can and do contribute without it being political. 
Whether we like it or not the politics are important, of interest to many and affect all. It is not simply a question of rules it is much deeper, it is about who governs the WF game, who is involved, transparency in their appointment and conduct, will there be funding, where the funding comes from, what it is used for etc etc thus it does impact upon us all. 

You have me at  a disadvantage, 'Left Foot' for you know my name, I do not know yours, but I will address the question you ask.

If commenting on the differences between the two codes/rules is implicitly showing an 'interest' in the 'politics' of Waking Football your question would be a fair one.  As it is I simply state a preference for WFA/WFU rules - fairly, consistently, and reasonably.  All I am looking for is a framework of laws which I can clearly recognise as putting the welfare of older  players uppermost. 

The matter of which organisation provides this is what is of no 'interest'.  I carry no brief for the WFU/WFA.   In fact they have some way to go to illustrate they are an efficient, cohesive organisation ready to take this game forward.  I hope this emerges soon and I know these are still early days.

I really did not care  who (in my view) came up with the best set of rules. I have no axe to grind with the F.A. In fact, if it had been the Football Association then it may well have been  a whole lot easier and straightforward, given the position they have in the traditional game. In my view, they got it wrong.

I used the term 'politics' in inverted commas quoting 'Striker', in response to his introduction of  the term to the thread.  'Politics' in its real sense and  in the real world is something I'm passionate about - in terms of walking football it means little, if anything at all.

Walking Football  is just  a game. Some see it as a sport and that's fair enough.  The depth and scope of 'Governance, transparency and funding' is of little interest to most of those who play it , and clearly means more to you than it does to me. 

With respect, whilst it is quite clear that you favour the WFA rules the topic is ‘who are the real fa’  it is about the organisation and not about which playing rules are preferred. Start a new topic if that is what you want to debate.

I had a quick check through the sessions as listed on this website the other day - there were over 120 - if they averaged 16 people to each that's nearly 2000 enjoying WF on one day . I can't see the WFA/WFU talking about anything other than Competitions and Tournaments - as GY says WF sits well with the FA under their Recreational Group. Would love to see the FA sort an 'offer' for the majority of participants who play as a recreational activity.                                                                         Can also assure you that all the guys that come to our sessions (whatever their age) will tell you to a man they are playing football.

5 hours ago, Walking Football Bedford said:

......."Can also assure you that all the guys that come to our sessions (whatever their age) will tell you to a man they are playing football."

I think that's the cue. 

Life's too short.

Shares You View - Become Part Of Our Community

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now