Walking Football.com

Take a moment to register on the site so

that you keep up to date with the latest

news in Walking Football

REGISTER HERE

referee referee

scottie3

Can you tackle in walking football

I see the phrase "can you tackle in walking football" is listed in the google Searches related to walking football section at the bottom of the page.

This means it is a really popular search phrase to be put there.

Due to it's popularity would that show that there is a lot of confusion still regarding what minimal contact is and what is allowed and not allowed regarding tackling?

One wonders who is best to judge on 'excessive force' when a player uses upper body strength  against a seventy four year old who is four stone lighter.  Surely the best way to deal with this conundrum is to outlaw all but the most minimal brush with opponents which is what a non-contact policy would allow. We had one of these 'coming together's' today and it was of course penalised.  Looking at the two men together (the heavier man almost twenty years younger too) the differences were stark and the very concept of legitimising upper body use in these circumstances is preposterous.

Hi Scottie, confusion is an understatement .

If sessions are not playing non contact the players should at least be aiming for non contact.

I am now an advocate for NON contact, no upper body use, no hands, no tackles from behind.

People playing walking football should be able to receive a pass with their back to the goal and defenders without the fear of being clobbered from behind or someone trying to kick the ball through their legs.

So many people have to get up the next day to go to work, others that are lucky enough to have retired are in many cases older and the last thing they want is a heavy challenge knocking them over etc.

• Like 1

Let me be clear on my position. I do not promote the use of force in tackles in walking football. Wiltshire you are right that a player should be able to receive a ball without worry of being tackled from behind, however whether it be minimal or no contact rules I am afraid that you will still have players making careless, reckless or excessive force challenges from behind. 

For those that advocate no contact then make it no contact, don't be accepting of any contact whatsoever. What sort of a game would that be? Very safe but not allowing those that played defensively for many years  the enjoyment of taking the ball from an opponent by way of a tackle that is not careless, reckless or uses excessive force.

You will never, in my opinion, stop contact during a game of walking football played either under FA or WFA laws. However by proper use of either set of laws the bullies and thugs can be driven out of the game.

Alan, the person responsible for a challenge being reckless or excessive is two fold in my eyes. The person making the challenge, (they make a choice to commit to that type of challenge) and then secondly the match referee who by administering the laws of the game will apply the necessary sanctions for an offence of reckless or excessive force.

Playslowplayfairplaywell a good mantra for all walking footballers

Some contact is surely inevitable and unavoidable, it makes more sense for this to be minimal and controlled by referees. Tackling from behind is not ok at any level of the game and is controlled by referees, so why is outlawing contact the answer ?   We might as well declare no tackling at all, play 3 touch and rely upon a stray pass as a means of obtaining possession.

As I've said before a non-contact policy just means something minimal or all things  more than minimal should be penalised by  the good Referee.

I agree with you  'some' contact is almost inevitable.  Tackling from any direction other than the head on block is to be frowned upon in my opinion, unless a quick stab of the foot can push the ball away without touching the man.  As for stray passes - we see plenty of those  (just like almost every game of walking football I've ever seen) and as a means of gaining possession they far outstrip the 'tackle'.

I'm not a fan of the idea of a 3 touch game -  'Left Foot' - are you? Ref's have enough to do in this game without counting touches.

No I am not a fan of the 3 touch variant and I am not in favour of non-contact either as I feel it is unworkable and fundamentally I feel it has been hastily implemented to stop tackling from behind and over physical challenges which were never allowable anyway. I mentioned outlawing tackling altogether as surely this kills all issues completely, it was tongue in cheek but it is perhaps where the game will go unless some common sense prevails. It is interesting you mention ‘minimal’, as this is the way it was previously. Minimal is not non contact but it does cover accidental or the inevitable and it still means excessive contact is outlawed. In contrast, non contact means exactly that and is impractical.

Shares You View - Become Part Of Our Community

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Featured Partner

Featured Links

300_250.png