Hero
  • Language Selector

wfcHarborne

Stop Press

33 posts in this topic

I must admit that having seen the previous updates I had reported the above post mentioned by SC but perhaps as SC states it should remain as a reminder to others about the apparent mindset of the WFA/WFU.

I do not think that FK was being disrespectful but just venting his frustration at the issue. What he said wasn’t actually that bad and nothing compared to other comments aired on a certain website. 

In terms of the threat and sensationalism of the communications act quoted. When was the original comment made – Over a week ago, did the comment refer to a named person – No,  was the comment sent directly to a named person – No, was the comment intended to cause distress – No, did it cause distress – Very unlikely.

Is this designed to quell questions and comments relating to the WFA – Yes.  Is this designed to scare – Yes. Is FK now concerned or distressed – probably and understandably.

It is obviously important that we are respectful to each other but we must allow free speech and expression to continue within an independent  forum. Questions must be raised, views aired, opinions expressed and with the respectful arguments  that ensue. Please do not allow such legal threats to stop this happening or for an outside and ever menacing influence dictate what happens.

I would like to suggest that the distressed person offended by the original comment is banned from being a member of the forum. Of course that is a bit authoritarian so in the interests of democracy how about we ask all registered members to vote on the offenders continued membership ?

An article now on the WFU website ...

EVEN WALKING FOOTBALL FORUMS NOT IMMUNE FROM INVESTIGATION

People in glass houses ? reap what you sow ?

Why respond? I've just seen the WFU home page - linking what's been said on some walking football forums to the kind of abuse received by some  well known individuals  in the public eye. Which from what  I've read in the past included threats of rape, and even death ! Either I have missed something or we have an overreaction going on.

It's clear that things are not quite right at WFU.  The most credible, and helpful  thing about the WFU/WFA is the rules they produced, which provide a handy template for the game we play...and play with others.  Those rules may also  produce a rather more civilised WFU/WFA  national knock-out competition, in comparison to 'The People's Cup'.  Beyond that, and a few interesting reads on their website, I can't see much that is relevant to our groups at this particular time.

It is actually very relevant given the post earlier today quoting or more to the point threatening action which re-opened this thread. 

Walking Football United was set up to create a shared platform from which to enquire, express, learn, lambast or lament on all aspects of this relatively new, innovative version of football.

as well as a chance to voice opinion on any Walking Football related matter on the Back Chat Forum page.

Taken this morning from the Walking Football United website been up there for as long as I have been visiting the site but certainly no longer seems to apply to how they and their partner WFA operate. The back chat page has been temporarily down now for a long time, but if it had been resurrected as promised with greater controls and security then many of these 'discussions' would have been kept in house and the need to share on other social networks would not have been necessary.

I have never hidden my identity via a psuedenym, I have often quoted my name in communications.

The tremendous work done by Steve Rich and the WFU over the years seems to be evaporating in front of my eyes, they seem intent on alienating any number of individuals/clubs who only wish to see walking football to continue to develop.

As can be seen on this forum there are any number of people who have differing opinions about the game, but the vast majority are able to discuss and debate without demanding that others agree with the majority. These debates are healthy for the development of walking football.

Grimsby Ancient Mariners will be withdrawing from the WFA nationals later this morning. As the current chairman of the Grimsby Ancient Mariners I do not wish our club to be associated with the current regime of WFU and WFA. The organisation appears not to be running in a transparent manner. We as a club will be concentrating on our 'home' sessions and our development at a county FA level.

GY that is an admirable stance and i hope many other clubs will follow your lead. Unfortunately I don't have the influence to be able to follow in your footsteps but i have already taken the decision that i personally would not play in the so-called WFA tournament and explained my reasons to many other players.

The arrogance, hypocrisy and unprofessionalism displayed by the so-called WFA Ltd and WFU will ensure that it is seen by the majority for what it really is and will never be anything more than an echo chamber whilst the owners are now reduced to just making complete fools of themselves and any amount of insults, threats, stamping of feet and tantrums will never change the fact that they are simply irrelevant and unnecessary in our sport.

1 person likes this